Resource Pool Stats

kimmamula
First Name: Kim

Resource Pool Stats

Post by kimmamula » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the number of times a resource was used (used from its pool)? If I have a good Average Wait and Average Items Waiting value, I can back into this. But sometimes, I have 0s for those values but I do have a utilization value, which means it was used. There were just so many of the resource that it did not ever have items waiting on it.

To back into it, I was using: Sim Time / Avg Wait * Avg # items waiting. Seemed to have worked.

davek
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Krahl

Re: Resource Pool Stats

Post by davek » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:12 am

That's a good question. Of course you could add up the number of items that pass through every Queue that allocates the Resource Pool, but that would be inconvenient. I put together a model that adds 1 to a static variable every time the number of Resource Pool units increases. The model is attached.

Dave Krahl
Kromite LLC
Attachments
Number of resource uses.mox
Number of times a resource pool is allocated
(457.29 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

kimmamula

Post by kimmamula » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:35 am

Thank you. I will try this out. Alternatively, I started playing with just adding a $1 cost per item in each of the Resource Pools. I figure every time the resource is used, the cost will increase by 1. I was then going to use a Stats block and just clone these specific resource pools into it with the Total Cost in order to get an export of all the data (could not figure a way to filter on only resource pools in Cost Stats - model has over 8000 blocks and do not want all of them in there). This seems to be working except that I get an error at a point in the simulation. What is odd is that the resource pools that I put the cost in have nothing to do with this unbatch block generating the error. Eventually, I will add those resources that are attached to items in that batch/unbatch area, but at this point, I did not get that far. These are all resource pools and not resource items.

Error: "Array exceeded dimensional bounds, variable. tempCostArray, at line1126. Detected in [393] Unbtach block during "BLOCKRECEIVE0" message

davek

Post by davek » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:42 am

Using costing to count the resource pool use is a great idea (better than mine). Its too bad that there is a bug in the Unbatch block that is causing a problem. I am afraid that I probably own that problem as I wrote that block when I was at Imagine That. However, I have not been employed there for some time so you should contact Imagine That directly to report the error. I did add an unbatch block to the model, but was unable to reproduce the problem, so unfortunately l am unable to help on this.

You can give labels only to the Resource Pool blocks and select the option to "Ignore blocks without labels" to filter out all blocks except the Resource Pool blocks. Another alternative would be to create a new block based on the Cost Stats block and change the search function to only include Resource Pool blocks. If you have any experience programming this should be pretty straightforward. I would be happy to point out what to change in the code if this solution appeals to you.

Dave Krahl
Kromite LLC

kimmamula

Post by kimmamula » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:55 am

Thanks. I can report the error, but I dont know if it is an error. It is caused by using the "Duplicate Preserved Items" check box in the unbatch block. So I am guessing it is throwing that cost array off because I am creating duplicates of items (not the resources, but the items using the resources). If I uncheck that box, it runs through until it hits the next unbatch with that box checked. Unfortunately, I need it to be checked though. Is that an error in the block, or is that just something that cannot be done?

davek

Post by davek » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:26 pm

You should never see that particular error on one of the standard ExtendSim blocks. I tried playing around with batching and unbatching with preserve uniqueness a bit more, but still had no problems. If something in ExtendSim is not supported, then you should get a direct message that you can not configure the model in that way. Array error messages from the code of a block are generally bugs in the block.

Dave

kimmamula

Post by kimmamula » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:46 am

After playing some more, it just seems to dislike any unbatch blocks that have "duplicate preserved items". Maybe not all of them, but it keeps pin-pointing those ones. I will report the error to Imagine That.

Thank you!